Friday, September 26, 2008

I have a passport therefore I am a spoiled elitist

I'm sorry, I pretty much gathered that Sarah Palin would have a problem with the fact I'm a jew but I really didn't think she'd go so far as to insinuate that I am some sort of elitist spoiled child
I'm not one of those who maybe came from a background of, you know, kids who perhaps graduate college and their parents give them a passport and give them a backpack and say go off and travel the world.

No, I've worked all my life. In fact, I usually had two jobs all my life until I had kids. I was not a part of, I guess, that culture. The way that I have understood the world is through education, through books, through mediums that have provided me a lot of perspective on the world. Sarah Palin to Katie Couric
I've worked all my life too: I worked in HS to save for college; I went to an inexpensive state school and worked to pay my way through college; and I still work.

Despite not living anywhere near an international border, my parents drove my brother and I up Canada when we were kids (we even went to Quebec, where they speak a whole different language). I did get my passport after I graduated from college and made my first trip overseas. The bulk of my passport needing travel was for work and, whenever possible, I tried to experience and understand as much of the local culture as possible.
Couric: You've cited Alaska's proximity to Russia as part of your foreign policy experience. What did you mean by that?

Sarah Palin: That Alaska has a very narrow maritime border between a foreign country, Russia, and, on our other side, the land-boundary that we have with Canada. It's funny that a comment like that was kinda made to … I don't know, you know … reporters.
I guess that, if Sarah Palin is an expert on foreign affairs when she's never crossed the borders of either of the countries her state shares I have no choice but to admit that despite my upper-poverty upbringing, I AM AN ELITIST .



Tags:

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: