Saturday, September 13, 2008

McCain and the Republican argument about executive responsibility and national security experience

Via Pam, the transcripts of last October's Republican Debate reveals some very interesting discussion between the candidates about who/what positions have actual executive responsibility and national security experience as it pertains to qualifications to put together an administration to lead this country:

Guiliani on McCain:

Oh, the simple fact is that New York City had a policy of allowing people who are illegal immigrants to report crime and to put their children in school. Otherwise, we reported every single illegal immigrant that committed a crime.

The results had to be pretty darn good. I brought down crime by over 60 percent in New York City. I brought down homicide by 67 percent. I had the most legal city in the country. And I took the crime capital of America and I turned it into the safest large city in the country.

The senator has never had executive responsibility. He's never had the weight of people's safety and security on his shoulders.

I have. And I think I out-performed any expectations.

McCain, ostensibly on Guiliani and Romney (and now, more pointedly, on Sarah Palin)

The fact is, I'm running on my record as a reliable conservative of 24 years. And the indicators of that, obviously, is that I've fought wasteful spending, I have had a strong and a long relationship on national security, I've been involved in every national crisis that this nation has faced since Beirut, I understand the issues, I understand and appreciate the enormity of the challenge we face from radical Islamic extremism.

I am prepared. I am prepared. I need no on-the-job training.

I wasn't a mayor for a short period of time. I wasn't a governor for a short period of time. For 20-some years, including leading the largest squadron in the United States Navy, I led. I didn't manage for profit, I led for patriotism.

McCain's running mate, Sarah Palin, who was Mayor of Wasilla, Alaska (pop 7,025) for 6 years and has been Governor of Alaska for less than 2 years has made it abundantly clear that she does have the theoretical understanding and practical experience necessary to be second in command.

  • McCain's first presidential decision: select Sarah Palin as his running mate
  • Palin's first decision as part of the McCain administration: go to war with Russia


Tags:

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: