Friday, May 20, 2005

I'm not a Nazi in real life, but I play one in Senate

I'm taking a little break (late lunch) to get my thoughts together but, unfortunately, in the few minutes of quiet time I've had I keep focusing on the "need" Super-Rick Santorum had to liken the Democrats filibuster of judicial nominees to Hitler. Now, I know I babbled about Santorum's statement last night and I know the irony of his statement wasn't lost on me but I focused more on the hypocrisy of his rebuff of Byrd last March.

This morning, however, something kept niggling at me (my head's clear despite the fact my sinuses are not) as Santorum's words continued to echo in my mind [emphasis added]:
'I mean, imagine, the rule has been in place for 214 years that this is the way we confirm judges. Broken by the other side two years ago, and the audacity of some members to stand up and say, how dare you break this rule. It's the equivalent of Adolf Hitler in 1942 saying, 'I'm in Paris. How dare you invade me. How dare you bomb my city? It's mine.'
Byrd's reference likening the rise of the fundagelical controlled Republican party to the rise of fascism was not off the mark (though his words were). Santorum's likening senators of a certain party to Hitler forcibly seizing control of Paris and then acting as though no one had the right to fight back to limit the damage he could do to Paris (let alone try to wrestle control fo the city from him) was actually pretty damn close to the mark. He did, however, miss the mark. The Republicans did not forcibly seize control of the Senate but they are acting like any other tyrant/child with temporary control of something they want to keep forever by trying to change rules to increase the duration of the effect of their current power (i.e., ensure more laws can be specifically enacted to make sure that it will be harder for those who disagree with them to fight back/protect themselves and that additional rigidity is added to ensure the country adheres to their extreme conservatism long after they lose the power of being the majority).



Tags:;; ;

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: